Hey Warcraft 3 friends, in this guide I will show you how to install classic WC3 with online Battle.net functionality.Blizzard has published the official version of Warcraft 3 Reforged (Patch 1.32.01) and the old classic ROC/TFT is not available anymore.
Step by Step Guide How to play the old classic Warcraft 3 client:
Disclaimer: I don’t know how long this method will work, but while writing this (February 2020) it is working. Thanks to @AaronK, he found the workaround! 🙂 Have fun!
Steps you need to do:
- Download the official Warcraft 3 PTR Client (PTR = Public Test Realm). You can get the download here, scroll to the bottom.
Info: The Public Test Realm has been uploaded by Blizzard in June 2019 to give everyone the chance to test WC3 Patch 1.31. They didn’t take the server offline yet.
- Simply install the PTR client, it needs no updates.
- Start the game and you will see the lovely old client! 😉 Welcome back to Classic WC3!
- You can play online in the Battle.net, everything is working fine. Create a new account and start playing. Of course you can just play with others who have the exact same version of Warcraft 3.
Is the WC3 PTR Battle.net really working?
Yes, I can confirm it, while writing this in February 2020 it’s working.
But is the PTR Battle.net playable?
Not really, there are not enough users to play with, you can try to search a 1on1 if you have patience, but team games are nearly impossible.
Moreover, the ping is too high. It’s just a PTR and players from all over the world get matched, this can end in games with a ping of 150ms.
What is the reason to play the classic version instead of Warcraft 3 Reforged?
- The PTR is one of the current rare solutions to play the old classic Warcraft 3 version.
Blizzard killed the latest live version of ROC and TFT and replaced it with Reforged. That means if you want to anything, that is not yet working with Reforged, then you can use the PTR build.
- You can’t play Reforged offline: Even to get through the main menu, you need to log in.
- The custom games and the world editor changed the complete copyright model, everything you create in Reforged belongs to Blizzard. WC3 has other rules.
- Warcraft 3 Reforged has no LAN functionality (yet).
- A lot of content has been removed (temporarily?), like voice-overs.
- Reforged is still full of bugs, the classic client is quite stable.
- More reasons to use the classic server: Playing custom games together, playing custom campaigns, playing the campaign, single-player matches, watching replays – and if there are enough players, playing online in a working matchmaking system.
Spread the word, let others know! If we get the server full, we can play! 😉