Right now the Warcraft 3 world is burning!
Why is everyone mad, what went wrong with the Reforged release?
What is the current status of Warcraft 3 Reforged?
Warcraft 3 Reforged has been successfully published in an early version.
The remastering has begun!
Blizzard unfortunately experiences a massive delay of their planned work: The promised outcome of the released game version does not meet the expectations of the WC3 fans.
The Reasons why the WC3 Reforged Launch is a Desaster with a “Metacritic User Score Below 1”
It was a row of many single things that made the crowd angry. One reason, of course, was the uncertainty about the date of the beta release, which came at the end of 2019 and not at the beginning of 2019. The official release was also postponed by more than one month.
1. Blizzard made false promises:
Blizzard has shown incredible gameplay previews and cinematics on the Blizzcon 2018. The graphic models were able to move much better, for example, they had face expressions and they were able to move their fingers, but in the real official Reforged version it just looks like the old WC3 with replaced HD-models. The HD models do the same things as in the old version.
Moreover at the Blizzcon demo, ingame map textures had much more details, like flowers, rain – and it just looked way better.
On the other hand, Blizzard was honest somehow, they officially canceled some of the planned content upgrades, like story elements for Jaina. They also announced that they will not remake all of the cinematics.
In the end, they announced some of this stuff, but of course, they left us in the dark with so many things: It’s great that they want to be puristic and give the WC3 fans what they want: Just the WC3 as it is in a better a modern shape.
The fans are confused about what Blizzard has done in over a year. What did the classic team do? They sourced out most of the 3D models to a Malaysian company to concentrate on the client improvements. But it seems like Blizzard underestimated the work they have to put into a Warcraft 3 remastering.
2. They removed Basic Features from the classic Warcraft 3 client:
It’s hard to face the facts: Blizzard has downgraded WC3 by upgrading it to Reforged. It’s just a matter of time, to get the features back, but right now they are all missing:
Battle.net Social Features:
- No clans can be created.
- No automatic tournaments.
- No ladder system.
- Bad matchmaking, you get matched with random players with any skill level.
- The chat window is in front of the menu.
- No hotkey functions inside the game, you still need to use custom hotkeys.
Singleplayer and Campaign Features:
- Custom campaigns are not playable at all.
- Most of the old maps are not functioning in the new engine.
3. Painful Copyright Rules for all Mapcreators:
The new Warcraft 3 maps copyright rules take away the ownership of the creator and give it to Blizzard. Whenever you create a map, it will belong to Blizzard. Because of that every map creator now wants to see a change from Blizzard. Will they react? I don’t know.
What are the positive things to say about the WC3 Reforged Release?
- It is happening, Warcraft 3 will get new features. It’s real, it’s great and it will improve our Warcraft 3 experience.
- Warcraft 3 is getting a hype, even the negative shitstorm has an effect. More people care about WC3 and there is more activity on the Battle.net servers.
- It was possible for me to find a 3on3 match online for the first time, after like 6 years. That means there are a lot more active players.
- Many 3D models look great, they got awesome details. They just need to get the final outcome they deserve. Find the full Warcraft 3 vs Reforged graphic comparisson article here.
- The cinematics look sharp, modern and better, I like them. Sure, they could be better, but you can see an improvement.
- New language versions, new voices especially in the campaign.
- Warcraft 3 users who do not buy Reforged, get the new client for free (if they want or not). The positive side of this is, that they get a lof of new features for free. 😉