There was and still is a big discussion about the Elo System in CS Global Offensive.
Today I want to talk about it in detail, how I think you can rank up faster and why.
Let’s check out how it works!
About me: I won about 600 Games of CS GO Matchmaking and at the moment im ranked in Double AK (Master Guardian Elite). See all Ranks here. With my history of Games I feel confident in giving a judgement about the CS GO Elo. If you disagree on something make a comment. Have Fun Reading. 😎
What is Elo?
Elo means, to evaluate the players skill due to his performance in game. In most of PvP Online Games different Elo’s are used. The Elo-System was originally defined in chess.
About the CS GO Elo
In total it’s easy : If you win more than you lose you gonna rank up – but there is more than that. People rank up and down in situations they don’t know why or often it is just not consistent or reproducible.
- You can rank up with a win or a draw.
- You can rank down with a defeat or a draw.
- You can rank up and down multiple ranks at once, if you win vs higher ranked enemies.
Check the Video at 4:52 as a proof:
Some People in the Forum told they even ranked down with a win – if this is true the chance is of course really really low and this should not happen to you.
What counts in CS GO?
- Win the Game
- Amount of won and lost Rounds
- MVP-Stars Count (Most Valuable Player of a Round)
- KDA Count (Kill / Death / Assist)
- Placement in the team (Position 1-5)
- Winstreaks / Losestreaks
- Time of beeing Offline (Decay)
- Leaving Game
- Shooting Accuracy
How to Rank Up in CS GO?
Which Conditions are most important and how can i rank up as fast as i can? I created an empiric priority list what counts most:
Important to Rank Up:
- 1. Just Win (You rank up after an average of 7 Wins in the last 10 Games, BUT this depends also on the following things)
- 2. Amount of won and lost Rounds (Example: 16-0 is GOOD, 16-14 is BAD)
- 3. MVP-Ratio (Defuse Bombs, Get the most Kills, get more Stars)
Not so important but it can help:
- 4. KDA-Ratio (Example: 30-4-4 is GOOD, 10-25-0 is BAD)
- 5. Placement (Beeing on position 1 is not too important, but this brings a better KDA, MVP and Win-Rate anyway so this should be your goal)
- 6. Shooting Accuracy (The Game calculates your headshot and hit rate. Shoot less! It helps on the long-term view)
Playing CS GO with Friends
Also you should decide wisely with WHO you play. Impatient, loud or unconstant skilled people are poison for your career! 😀 Play alone or with the right people.
I got more fun playing with friends usually, BUT I feel that it’s bad for my rank often. 😀 If you play in team, it feels like no matter what happens, just the win counts. We rank up and down at the same time (while having different ranks). This sucks! One of my Friends is always Place 5 and has a low KDA & MVP and I am place 1 or 2 but nothing seem to matter. After a while now, we are in the same Rank Group, but in reality there is a huge gap between our skill..
Things that go wrong
Sometimes a guy in one rank group (For Example AK-1) is brilliant and carries the game. Another one (also AK-1) sucks hard. Apart from diversity of the daily performance, it’s bad to see that within one skill group people often got a very different skill. 😳
Still i like the CS GO Matchmaking System. It’s big fun to try to rank higher and higher. And it’s also big fun to bully friends who suck and rank down! 😀
What’s your opinion about the CS GO Elo? Do you feel like what you do in game pays off?